Friday, March 13, 2009
I was in the mood for a little color experiment and there are a few ways to approach a delectable bit of top. First off, I like to play with the fiber a little bit. I run it through my hands, give it a few gentle tugs to get a feel for how it will draft, gently pull it open and loosen it up a bit. I think this is especially important for hand dyed tops or rovings, because I like to make sure I'm not going to have any sticky parts when I start spinning. At the same time, I think about how I want the colors to appear. I decided to do this:
I wanted lots of repeating color changes, so I split it apart in long thin strips and rolled it into loose balls, doing a little more predrafting as I went.
I spun half of it on one bobbin and the other half on another, in 2 different thicknesses.
I let them rest for the day then wound them into balls on my ball winder so I could ply each bobbin of singles back on itself. What I ended up with was different looking yarns of equal weight.
This one is around 81 yds, 10 wpi, which puts it in the DK neighborhood:
And here's the 42 yd, 7 wpi bulky version:
Of course, I like them both. The finer you spin it, the more the colors gather together and lose their individual definition. The yellows stand out more in the bulky one.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
This trio of dishcloths was inspired by the beautiful shapes and textures of paper lanterns.
I’ve always thought it would be wonderful to knit a bunch in various colors and use them as napkins for a party. They would be really nice rolled up with flatware inside and tied with a place setting card. Invite your guests to keep them as a memento of the party, which gives you an excuse to knit more of them.
PDF file contains the patterns for all 3 lanterns. $4.00